Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Film Noir


Out of all three of the movies we watched, i think that i liked Memento the best. It's probably the most 'recent' and modern movie we've seen in class which was really refreshing, however i probably wouldn't watch it on my own time. The story was really interesting though and how it brings up the idea that it is human nature to 'lie to ourselves' if we really don't want something to be true - and then we actually believe it. Also Guy Pearce is not bad looking either. I liked Double Indemnity though too - the story was good and i think it was well done. Kiss Me Deadly however i did not like at all because i hardly understood anything that was going on. It was really vague and i was just confused and got nothing out of it, and the acting was bad.
On a different note, i feel like there should be some kind of unit with movies that we've all actually heard of. I can think of lots of movies that could probably be considered to be some of the 'greatest movies of all time' - for example Sound of Music or Titanic. Don't get me wrong, i like the class!, but most of these movies are just so different from what i would normally watch. i get it though that this class is supposed to expand our horizons.. so i guess then it is doing its job!! Oh yeah and on the upper left there is a really good movie!

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I totally agree with you in Kiss me deadly...I was completely lost the entire time and had no idea what was going on. I thought I missed something..glad I wasn't the only one :)